Here are the salaries for Michigan’s elected officials
Posted on March 1, 2010
Filed Under News
Salaries for Michigan elected officials are set by recommendation of the State Officers Compensation Commission.
According to the SOCC, elected officials’ salaries are as follows:
• Governor Granholm: $177,000 plus a $60,000 expense account
• Lt. Gov. John Cherry: $123,900 plus a $20,000 expense account
• Supreme Court justices: $164,610
• State senators and representatives: $79,650 per year plus a $12,000 expense account
• Lawmakers in leadership positions can earn up to an additional $27,000 per year
• Attorney General Mike Cox: $124,900
• Secretary of State Terri Lynn Land: $124,900
Let’s Put all State, County and Township Spending Online
In February of 2008, Mike Cox made history by putting the Department of Attorney General’s spending on-line. Cox is a great believer in the old adage, ‘sunshine is the best antiseptic in a democracy’. By going to www.michigan.gov/ag and clicking on the button, “Track Your Taxes”, any Michigan citizen can see how the Department of Attorney General spends its money. Contracts, rent, office supplies, salaries – you name it – are all there open for inspection. This year Cox posted all consumer protection settlements entered into since his administration began in 2003, over 8,000 pages.